|Copyright © 2004 - 2018 Cascade Meadows Farm
All Rights Reserved
Cascade Meadows Farm
Why Dexters are the Perfect Breed of Cattle
(no other breed can do all of this:)
1. Dexters are one of the smallest natural breeds of cattle, and that compact size
gives them lots of advantages.
2. Dexters are famous for their plentiful tender flavorful gourmet quality beef, and
also their excellent milk. You can choose to milk them, but you don't need to milk
3. Dexters are exceptionally friendly and easily managed.
4. Dexter bulls are a joy to be around.
5. Dexters are perfect for people who've never raised cattle. No cowboying needed.
Dexters are one of the safest breeds of cattle.
6. Dexters are exceptionally good mothers, and calve easily with no assistance.
7. Dexters are exceptionally hardy, and don't require much shelter except some trees
for shade, and a windbreak.
8. Dexters are parasite resistant, and if regularly rotated to clean pasture, can often
be raised with no deworming.
9. Dexters are excellent, efficient grazers and browsers and can thrive on decent
forage with no extra supplement, other than some minerals and clean water.
10. Dexters are disease resistant, rarely getting sick, and recovering quickly when
they do. Many folks raise Dexters with no shots and no vet work.
11. Dexters are a no-fuss breed.
12. Dexters have fun personalities!
13. Dexters are multi-purpose. In addition to providing high quality beef and milk,
they make good working draft animals (oxen). Their intelligence, temperament, and
ideal size to strength ratio make them perfect for the job.
14. Dexters are long-lived, many still producing and working into their late teens and
Of course, to maintain all these terrific traits in Dexters, it requires ongoing selection
and culling. Generation after generation, Cascade Meadows Farm works very hard
to select the very best genetics to maintain all these valuable traits in our herd.